Friday 24 September 2010

I'm coming out of the closet

Sir Thomas Bewick (1753-1828)
Yes, I have a public confession to make.

I am not really Alexander Bewick. And he is not me. We have been in the same closet for a number of years, we have identified with each other, we are very close. We are one and the same, Alexander and I.

The surname I chose for a pseudonym some forty-five years ago comes from my mother's side of the family. She was descended from the famous engraver Sir Thomas Bewick, and I just filched his surname. That's him at the top, and below, one of the wood engravings that made him famous and got him his knighthood.

The thing is, I have my own surname, and I now choose to use it in full view of the public, though this blog will remain as it is, name and all, because I like it. However, the articles published here will also appear in The Comment Factory, where you can see my profile, such as it is (working on it, working on it!). Also, if you check my profile here, you will see the simple words 'Alexander Bewick is.' That is true just because I say so.

There's more: I promise to be more assiduous in publishing here. There are several comments about how little gets put up here (and they're right, look at the date of the previous post), so I will try to write more.

However, a lot of my time is taken up by running two websites, JimenaPulse and CampoPulse, plus several partner sites - all of these under the name Prospero. The two main sites are news related and so must be constantly updated. They're supposed to be commercial sites, but that's wishful thinking - I am not averse to commitment, though, and keep them going even when I'm not sure where the next meal is coming from.

Okay, that's that. But who actually writes this column?


(c) 2010 Alberto Bullrich

No comments: